The Centre for Historical Research at the National Research University
Higher School of Economics in St. Petersburg as a member of EuParl.Net
is organizing a two-days workshop on "Parliamentarianism and
Representative Democracy in Crises of War, Revolution, and Collapse of
Empires". The workshop will take place in St. Petersburg on October 1-2,
2018. The Higher School of Economics in St. Petersburg will provide visa
The suggested topics are:
- Parliamentarianism in Eastern Europe: a catching mode of development?
- Politcal representation and political parties in the context of
- World War I and processes of democratization of 'Western' democracy
- Parliamentary practices and violence of mass politics and civil war
- Elections in the time of World War I
- Nationalism and the question of political representation
- Visions of political representation and political rights in federalist
and autonomist political projects
- The radical challenge of Soviet power to the concept of bourgeois
- Constituent assemblies and constitution-making in times of revolution
and collapse of empires
- Parliaments in newly independent states of interwar Europe
- Women suffrage in arc of crisis of mass politics and inter-war
- The symbolic dimension of parliamentarianism and political
representation: architecture, visual history, fiction
Deadline for submission of paper proposals: August 5, 2018
Please limit your paper proposal to max. 300 words.
Submissions should be sent to: centerhistoricalresearch@hse.
We will inform you on the selection decision by August 10, 2018.
We are looking forward to your submission!